Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Twenty Minute checks

Twenty minute checks

For some reason these twenty minute checks are a source of anxiety for the CPNEr. There are only a few things that NEED to be assessed in the first 20 minutes of implementation.In reality all it takes is a minute to look things over.
I will put the square with the mnumonics the top left on my gridalong with the time 20 minutes from the beginning of implementation . Most of the items on the checks are incorperated in other AOC.

W-wash hands. This must be done BEFORE you commence the implementation phase AND everytime you reenter the room. The only exception is when you spontaneously greet the patient as you enter the room. To do otherwise would be rude and violate OAOC.

I- ID Patient/Introduce your self and the CE. Identify your patient by the wrist band using TWO of the following :Name, DOB,or medical number. I will be introducing myself as a student nurse and the CE as my instructor.

G-Glove.

A-Assess IV site for edema or warmth and for the IV I am assigned be sure the drip rate and or ICD is set properly / Advise the patient that I will be monitering I&O during the time I was there.

A-Ask about pain/pain/Air.In the case of Air this means oxygen flow devices.Be sure the flow meter is set properly.

Skin turgor/Safety/Save tray- Skin turgor is part of checking the hydration level , safety means making sure bed is in low position,call light and slippers are near, Save tray is part of I&O. It would be a shame to have some well meaning staff take the tray away you need.


I am considering using a second set of mnumonics as a double check.
T- Tongue/fontanel

A-air(oxygen)

P-Parenteral

E- Enteral-This includes all fluids, gtubes, bottles etc

D- Drip rates

I-Insertion site

N-Number on ICD

Just Checking all these is not enough. It must be documented on the PCS recording form to count. Do not be suprised if the CE asks to see your form to make sure you have.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU so much for posting this blog, I wish I would have found it a week ago as I just took the CPNE and was unsuccessful. I didn't even think about writing neumonics down, it would have helped me immensly, I probably would have even passed if I did. I made such STUPID mistakes because I was so nervous. It is very easy to froget things when you're concentrating so hard on making sure you do everything right and that you do not leave out any critical elements.

02 November, 2009 08:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home